Papers # 2016 Berlin
The European Plastics Pipes and Fittings Association (TEPPFA) and it Application Group Civils working group initiated a new project at the beginning of 2015, to find a way of improving the communication and promotion of TEPPFA and its projects to the industry. This project was divided into the two phases with the market research in phase I with a qualitative survey targeting industry experts in each country via focus groups and individual in
- depth interviews, with the ultimate aim of understanding the main barriers and drivers of plastic products. This research was structured to investigate the following areas of interest:
- Who are the main decision makers?
- What is the current material preference?
- The perception of plastic and other materials
- What are the decision criteria with regards to material?
- What market trends will influence the use of plastic materials?
The decision makers interviewed for this project confirmed their involvement in the selection of materials to be used for the installation of foul water and storm water systems. The decision is mainly made at the design phase of the systems, and often specifies the material. The specifications could be written by an internal design office or an external one if the authority does not have a design department, but in general the opinion of the authorities is leading and at the end the design should be approved by them. Multiple product features are taken into account for specifying the material which can meet the specific project requirements and conditions the best. The product features may differ per country, but in general attention is always paid to:
- Durability of the material
- Price/ costs
- Strength/ mechanical resistance of the material