- 08 / 02 / 09What is electrofusion?
Electrofusion is a simple method of joining PE pipes in circumstances where butt fusion is not practicable, such as where valves, elbows, and tees must be added. Prefabricated fittings are used,...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09What is butt fusion (hdpe welding) ?
Butt fusion is a thermofusion process which involves the simultaneous heating of the ends of two pipe/fitting components which are to be joined, until a molten state is attained on each contact...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09What is mechanical assembly?
Mechanical assembly requires the use of fittings, generally working on the compression principle, to join different materials together. It is most commonly used with PE for joining the PE to a pipe...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09What methods can be used to assemble a PE pipe network?
PE pipe can be assembled into a pipeline network by means of fusion or mechanical assembly techniques. Fusion of PE pipe and fittings may be by either Butt Fusion or Electrofusion. Other techniques...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09Under what circumstances are the different methods used?
Butt fusion Butt fusion can be used for jointing pipes and fittings 63mm diameter and larger. However it is most commonly used for larger diameter pipes. Butt fusion jointing is equally suited to...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09What special equipment is needed for each assembly method?
Butt fusion To ensure that good quality butt fusion joints are made it is essential that the correct equipment is used. The equipment used must be robust enough to handle the size and weight of the...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09Can different grades of PE be connected to each other?
Butt fusion It is possible to butt fuse pipes and fittings of different grades and SDR, but this should only be carried out under controlled conditions. In case of doubt please contact the pipe and...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09Are there any standards or codes of practice applicable to the assembly methods?
The major users of PE piping systems have developed codes of practice for fusion assembly. Many of these have become national standards. Butt fusion Butt fusion procedures require the application of...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09What training is necessary for operatives to assemble PE pipe networks?
A fusion operator badge is required for all personnel involved in fusion techniques during the construction of PE gas networks. This badge must conform with ISO 12176 Part 3, and is granted after...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09How can I verify that the correct assembly procedures have been followed?
Traceability is an integral part of modern, sophisticated, Quality Assurance systems used for PE pipe networks. The systems available, and mandatory at many end-users, enable tracing through the...Read more
- 08 / 02 / 09What procedures are used for testing the assembly?
Different methods of testing finished fusion joints in PE pipes have been developed in different European countries. They vary in their fundamental approach to the question of how a joint should be...Read more